Application for Employment
Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.APPLY ONLINE DOWNLOAD APPLICATION
Successful Habitat team members share the following characteristics:
- We are part of something bigger than ourselves.
- We do what’s right, even when it is difficult or unpopular.
- We believe in a hand up, not a hand out.
- We thrive on constructive feedback and have a high level of integrity.
- We do what we say we will do.
- We love results and hate excuses.
Benefits: Habitat offers generous paid time off, free life insurance, partially-paid health benefits and an annual bonus for employees who successfully complete probationary periods. Habitat has a strong board of directors, a dedicated and experienced staff, a large volunteer base, plus committed house sponsors, donors and homeowners.
All applicants must submit to a drug test, criminal background and reference check as part of the pre-employment process at Habitat for Humanity Peninsula & Greater Williamsburg.
Habitat for Humanity Peninsula & Greater Williamsburg does not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The Construction Assistant is responsible for working alongside the construction team to build affordable homes for local families. In this position, you are expected to be hands-on, working at a steady pace, with and without volunteer support.
Beyond helping to build homes, specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Help with set-up, clean-up and maintenance of construction sites.
- Assist with coordination of volunteer work assignments and help volunteers find useful, productive and rewarding contributions safely on the job site.
- Provide support to construction supervisors to ensure building materials are on-site when volunteers arrive for scheduled build days.
- Must be reliable with a driver’s license and dependable transportation.
- Must be willing and able to help with roof framing.
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds on a regular basis and experience frequent bending, squatting, lifting and repetitive motion.
- Willingness to be exposed to extremes in weather (e.g., heat, cold, wind, rain, etc.).
- Must be able to learn from daily experiences and become a self-starter who can work alongside the crew and volunteers without constant direction.
- Previous knowledge of construction and owning some construction tools helpful. Must be very interested in learning all about construction and the Habitat way.
- Feel comfortable interacting with a diverse group of people, including volunteers and future homeowners.
- Must thrive on constructive feedback, with room for growth.
This full-time position will earn an hourly rate between $18 and $22 per hour, commensurate with experience. The employee will work Tuesday through Saturday, with job sites located in Hampton, Charles City County, Newport News and Williamsburg.
Box Truck Driver (Williamsburg)
Full-time hours, Monday through Friday, including rare Saturdays and evenings
The Box Truck Driver will support the procurement department in all areas of securing donations to help grow the inventory of merchandise for sale at the ReStores, which in turn will fund homes for sale to qualified low- to moderate-income families in our community.
This individual would be part of a 2-person team responsible for loading donated goods (furniture, appliances, building supplies, etc.) and unloading them at the procurement warehouse and the ReStore locations (Williamsburg, Newport News, and Yorktown).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as an ambassador of the ReStore while interacting with donors, customers, and volunteers
- Perform daily truck safety checks and report all maintenance needs to crew leader
- Complete a daily truck route that includes picking up, transporting, and unloading donated items (furniture, building supplies, pallets, etc.) as assigned
- Screen and process donated goods according to quality standards
- Adhere to all mandated safety protocols, truck packing and driving procedures
- Organize and stage merchandise for distribution from the warehouse
- Deliver materials and provide support at events and special projects
- A desire to meet the needs of the Habitat for Humanity mission to include other duties as assigned
- A valid driver’s license in good standing and clean 5 year driving record are required
- Reliable transportation
- CDL is a plus but not required
- Willingness to learn and operate a 26ft box truck, and practice safe driving habits (truck driving experience is helpful, but not necessary)
- Exceptional time management with a customer service centric sense of urgency
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize and stay organized
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Experience with various warehouse equipment (forklift, pallet jack, etc) is a plus
- Lift up to 100 lbs. with assistance on a regular basis while adhering to safety protocols
- Frequent bending, squatting, lifting and repetitive motion
- Ability to work safely and recognize risks in weather conditions such as rain, heat, cold, wind, etc
Pay starts at $18 per hour, based on experience, with periodic performance-based increases.
Click “apply now” if you are interested in applying for this exciting position!
Why Join the Habitat Team?
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Industry-leading affordable healthcare
- Work/life balance supported by generous PTO and holidays off with pay
- Monthly and annual bonus opportunities
- Career development and promotion opportunities
- Casual working environment
- Sundays off